Thursday, April 26, 2012

Tortilla Soup



1 lb cooked, shredded chicken breast
1 can washed and drained black beans (organic)
1 bag frozen corn (organic)
1 box chicken broth (reduced sodium)
cumin, garlic powder, salt to taste
1 diced tomato
1 bag tortilla chips (whole grain or multi-grain)
1 avocado (organic)
shredded cheese (buy the block cheese and shred yourself, pre-shredded cheese is covered in powder to keep it from sticking together)

Cook and shred chicken.
In a large, covered pot, cook chicken broth, chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes, and seasonings for 15-20 minutes on medium. 
Spoon into bowls and top with avocados, broken chips and cheese (not too much).

1 comment:

  1. I just noticed that on the shredded cheese last week and was quite disappointed -- that there was some powder in the ingredients list to prevent caking (I want to say those powders are made from WOOD??). I decided to get the block cheese instead and I broke it up in chunks and put it in my food processor - voila, shredded cheese! Why didn't I think of this before? I think it was also cheaper!

    ReplyDelete